The Gift of Life



It was a sunny afternoon on the peaceful compound of the Ile-Ife Adventist Hospital in Nigeria. My brother Joshua and I, 3 and 5-year-olds at the time, were walking with our mom on our way to the nearby market. As we passed through the hospital halls, one of the nurses rushed out of the maternity ward. “Dr Lohr, we need you now!” she frantically called. 

As my mom hurried into the ward to help out with the complicated delivery, she motioned us into the nurses station where we were told to sit still and wait for her. 

But as Joshua and I waited, the minutes drew longer, and soon we decided to get up and find our mom. We made our way down the hall and came to a sudden stop when we saw the delivery room and a woman pushing out her baby into my mothers arms. Our eyes widened as we gasped at the sight, and I’ll never forget that moment!

Ever since then, I’ve wanted to become a doctor. As many times as I could, I would beg my mom to take me with her to watch her deliver a baby or perform a C-section. I just couldn’t get enough of the amazing gift of life I had the opportunity to watch. 

Our family in Nigeria

I've thought of that moment often these past few weeks as I have gotten to round in maternity ward, which has been one of the best experiences ever. I have been able to not only watch deliveries, but to help with the babies, interact with the mothers, and even assist in C-sections!



One special day this week, I arrived to work just in time to help take a mother to a C-section. Usually, the surgical team allows me to be the second assist for different surgeries, but this time, they thought I was ready to be the first person assisting! It was the most incredible experience. 

The best part though, was that the mother asked for my name afterwards. When I told her, she decided to name her newborn daughter Michaela. It was extra special because it all happened on my birthday! 

The magic of birth never ceases to amaze me. Each time I get to help with a delivery, I am once again awestruck by how God gives each one of us the gift of life.

Not only that, but it says in John 10:10, “I am come that they might have life, and they might have it more abundantly.” Jesus came to this earth to give us a chance to truly live. The more I think about it, the more I realize this is a gift we can’t take for granted. Life has so much to offer, and each moment and each day is a gift we can treasure forever. 

Sabbath with friends

My neighbors Tamara, Trevor, and Flevian


Gathering the kids to sing and play

Brighton and Randy, the cutest kids

Visiting the lake with Logan and Dillon, the other student missionaries here

On our way to a hike with Oliver and Happy, nursing students here

Top of the Home Hills with Happy

Dillon, Logan, and I with the best view :)








Comments

Popular Posts